Crop acreage reporting deadlines for Grayson County farmers

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) Executive Director Kay Barton announced that producers who file accurate and timely reports for all crops and land uses, including failed acreage, can prevent the potential loss of FSA program benefits.

“In order to comply with FSA program eligibility requirements, all producers are encouraged to visit the Grayson County FSA office to file an accurate crop certification report by the applicable deadline,” Barton said.

The following acreage reporting dates are applicable for Grayson County:

  • July 15, 2018:  All Other Crops (ex: corn, soybeans) and CRP
  • 15, 2018: Perennial Forage (for preceding year)
  • 15, 2018: Fall Seeded Small Grains (ex: barley, oats, rye, wheat)
  • 2, 2019: Honey (For 2019)

The following exceptions apply to the above acreage reporting dates:

  • If the crop has not been planted by the above acreage reporting date, then the acreage must be reported no later than 15 calendar days after planting is completed.
  • If a producer acquires additional acreage after the above acreage reporting date, then the acreage must be reported no later than 30 calendars days after purchase or acquiring the lease. Appropriate documentation must be provided to the county office.
  • If a perennial forage crop is reported with the intended use of “cover only,” “green manure,” “left standing” or “seed,” then the acreage must be reported by July 15, 2018.

Producers should also report crop acreage they intended to plant, but due to natural disaster, were prevented from planting. Prevented planting acreage must be reported on form CCC-576, Notice of Loss, no later than 15 calendar days after the final planting date as established by FSA and the Risk Management Agency (RMA).

According to Barton, Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) policy holders should note that the acreage reporting date for NAP-covered crops is the earlier of the dates listed above or 15 calendar days before grazing or harvesting of the crop begins.

For questions regarding crop certification and crop loss reports, please contact the Grayson County FSA office at 270-259-3716.

By Sandra Childress, Program Technician, Grayson County Farm Service Agency