12 more victims of COVID-19 identified in state, including another juvenile

The number of coronavirus (COVID-19) cases rose by 14 (two new cases were revealed late Thursday night after publication of this story) on Thursday, as Gov. Andy Beshear said there are now 49 cases of the virus in Kentucky, including another child, this time a six-year-old.

Another death has been attributed to the illness, as well, Beshear said in his daily briefing, as a 64-year-old man from Jefferson County who passed away on Friday is now listed as a COVID-19 victim. The governor said the man had several underlying medical issues. Earlier this week, an elderly Bourbon County became the state’s first announced fatality of the new coronavirus.

The six-year-old child joins an eight-month-old baby as the only two juveniles to be diagnosed with COVID-19.

The new cases identified Thursday are in Anderson, Oldham, Clark, Daviess, Franklin, Harrison, Henderson, Kenton, Pulaski, Warren, and Christian counties. Two new cases in Fayette and two new cases in Jefferson have also been identified. This marks the first cases of COVID-19 in Anderson, Oldham, Daviess, Henderson, Pulaski, and Christian counties.

Currently, Jefferson County leads the state with 12 confirmed cases, while Fayette County has nine. Two patients in the state have recovered from the illness.

In a new development, Beshear said restaurants and bars will be allowed to deliver alcohol, with a few restrictions. The governor said he does expect school closures to be extended, but there is nothing official to announce at this time.

Again, Beshear noted that the state’s food supply chain is strong, but he asked citizens to buy for a week and not a month when they shop.

Visit Kentucky’s coronavirus website, https://chfs.ky.gov/agencies/dph/pages/covid19.aspx, for information and guidance about the virus.

By Ken Howlett, News Director

Contact Ken at ken@k105.com